ARIZONA CHAPTER CONSTITUTION
The name of the Chapter shall be the Arizona Chapter of American Association of Teachers of German.
The purpose of this chapter shall be to further and improve the teaching of German in Arizona and to promote a sense of joint effort and a spirit of mutual aid among its members.
1. Any teacher of German or anyone interested in the teaching of German may join the Chapter and the National Organization upon payment of the annual dues as specified by the By-Laws of the National Organization and the Chapter. (See National Constitution §3. #2.)
2. Full-time graduate and undergraduate students who are so certified by the chairman of their departments may become Junior Members upon payment of the annual dues for Junior Members. (See National Constitution)
3. Any teacher who at the time of retirement has been a member for at least fifteen years may elect Emeritus Membership.
The dues for this type of membership are defined in the By-Laws of the National Constitution.
4. The annual dues. which include subscription to the official publications of the National organization. are payable in September to the National Organization directly.
or indirectly through the Arizona Chapter. and no member in default is qualified to exercise any privilege of membership
1. The officers of the Chapter are a President. a President-Elect, a Secretary. and a Treasurer.
2. These officers shall be elected at the annual meeting for a term of two years on the basis of nominations made by the nominating committee and/or from the floor. In the event that the Secretary or Treasurer resign from his/her office before the term expires, the President shall be entitled to appoint a successor for the remainder of the term.
3. The President-Elect shall automatically assume the office of President at the end of the President's term.
In the event that a vacancy arises from some other cause a special election will be held for a new President-Elect at the next Chapter meeting. The new President-Elect will then
take office as President at the end of the term of the President who has resigned.
The administration of the Chapter shall be in the hands of the Executive Council. comprising the officers provided for in Section The Past-President shall be a member of the Executive Council
for two years succeeding his/her term of office.
The Chapter shall meet at least once each year. The time and place of this meeting shall be determined by the President after due consultation with the Executive Council.
VII. CHANGES IN THE CONSTITUTION
The Constitution of the Chapter may be amended by a two-thirds vote of members present at any annual meeting. Such amendment or amendments may be proposed by the Executive Council or by written notice to the Executive Council by at least four members of the Chapter no later than two months prior to the annual meeting at which action is to take place.
The Secretary shall submit such proposed amendment or amendments to the membership at least one month prior to the time of final action.
By-Laws may be adopted or changed at any annual meeting of the Chapter by a majority of the members present or by mail by a majority of those returning ballots by a stipulated deadline of no less than three weeks.
1. NOMINATION OF OFFICERS
At least one month prior to the annual meeting the President of the Chapter shall appoint a committee of three members to present nominations for the offices to be filled at the meeting. The members of this committee shall come from the membership at large and should not include any member of the Executive Council.
Two candidates for each office shall be nominated if possible These nominations are to be forwarded to the Secretary prior to the m~eting. Nominations may also be made from the floor. Members who wish to nominate themselves may contact the Secretary prior to the meeting.
2. MEETINGS OF THE EXECUTIVE COUNCIL
The Executive Council shall meet prior to the annual meeting of the Chapter. Special meetings may be held at the request of the President or any two members of the Executive Council.
(See National Constitution) :
"The annual membership dues shall be set by the Executive Council and ratified by the membership by mail ballot. Chapters shall be entitled to receive a portion of the dues, as determined by the Council.
(III, 2): Any Chapter may level an assessment on its members beyond the national dues subject to approval by the Executive Council. All Chapter members must also be members of the Association."
Arizona Chapter dues shall be $ 5.00 per member per year and $ 2.00 per junior member per year.
4. ANNUAL PROGRAM
The Executive Council shall be responsible for the annual program and shall arrange that the program announcement reaches the Chapter members in sufficient time to permit attendance.
5. MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETINGS
It shall be the policy of the Chapter to distribute copies of the minutes of the previous meeting to the membership as soon as practicable after the last meeting. These minutes may be read at the next annual meeting at the discretions of the Executive Council.
Elections shall be by acclamation unless secret ballot is reuqested by one or more members at the annual meeting.
7.Dissolution of the Chapter
The Chapter may be dissolved only 1) at a special meeting called for that purpose, 2) through a vote by a majority of the remaining members of the Chapter or 3) through clear evidence that the Chapter no longer is active. No member of the chapter shall be entitled to any distribution or diversion of its remaining property or proceeds. The balance of the money, other property or assets received by the Chapter from any source shall be distributed for exempt purposes to qualifying charitable beneficiaries, preferably the national organization, the American Association of Teachers of German which is registered as a 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
Last update: April 10, 2011.